Monday, November 16, 2009

Why are the vegees in my conainer garden failing?

I live in Chicago. I have a container garden, approzimately 60" long, 20" wide, 16" tall. It still cold at nite here, so the box is actually a cold frame, covered by a piece of insulated glass I found a while back. A couple of weeks ago, I transplanted one strawberry, two tomato, and one basil plant. The basil is dead, strawberry looks dead, and the tomatoes are withering. As for the soil, every year, I go to a city site where I get compost, which I add to the mix. However, since I can't make myself spend a bunch of money on vermiculite, I'm only guessing the soil may not be draining well; even after not watering for 3 or 4 days, below an inch the soil is still damp. About a week ago I dug up about a dozen worms, and transplanted them to the container, but no improvement so far. Calling all green thumbs: SOS!

Why are the vegees in my conainer garden failing?
Gypsum is used for compacted soil. But it wont work this season. It needs time. Go to the Home Depot,and get some saw dust,or saw shavings. They will have it, they sweep it up all day from sawing lumber. They shouldn't charge you more than a dollar for it either. Just tell them you want what they sweep up,and would they please save it for you. They will. Add that to the soil, along with some Gypsum. Than next time you transplant, make sure you dig deep under the roots, or if you transplant from seedlings, start them in peat pots. Then all you do is set the pot in the new space, and it breaks down all by it's self. And be sure to get some,"Quick Start" for transplant shock. Also get rid of the glass. Its frying your baby plants. Put some Heavy plastic over them, with a little bit of open space for air ventilation. You should be OK than.


No comments:

Post a Comment