Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How do I build a garden on my balcony?

I live in an apartment with a balcony. I would like to grow my own vegetables and herbs such as cilantro. How do I build a vegetable garden on my balcony. Lots of sun shines on my balcony in the morning and some to none by mid-afternoon/evening. I appreciate your gardening wisdom.

How do I build a garden on my balcony?
You need to use individual pots and boxes. You need them as large as possible, but you need to be able to move them when they are full of dirt, so don't go over the top. Don't forget, you have to get those sacks of potting soil up to your apartment. Make sure that you water frequently. On hot summer days, plants dry out very fast. Don't be too ambitious to start out with. Try a few pots of herbs and patio-type tomatoes and peppers, then build up each year.
Reply:look up earth box for an ideal growing environment....i would you an earth box contain for 2 tomato plants....and surprisingly i use one earth box for at least 8 stalks of sweet corn...cilantro would do well in at least a 1 gallon container with lots of sand in the mix...cilantro likes to be neglected so don't fertilize or over-water...enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment